St Mary's Square
London W2 1LG
t: 020 7723 1968
Edgware road (5 mins)
Paddington (10 mins)
16, 414, 98, 18
|Sunday||9:30 am||Solemn Mass and Homily|
|Church Wardens||Alex Wrottesley
|PCC Secretary||Nick Ember|
|Director of music||Jonathan Cunliffe|
The present St Mary’s, the third on this site, was built in 1791 by John Plaw, at the junction of the (english) Harrow Road and the (roman) Edgware Road. It is a very ancient part of London, steeped in history. The church is a delightful, Georgian building within its own extensive graveyard and contains fine monuments (by renowned sculptors such as Physick, Derby and Blore) to local luminaries including Nollekens, Roget and Sarah Siddons.
The existing church of Saint Mary, Paddington Green was built under an Act of 1788, which authorised national collections and appointed 45 trustees, headed by Sir John Morshead and Robert Thistlethwayte. A small building of yellow brick with white stone dressings, its floor plan is that of a Greek cross, whose square centre lies beneath a shallow dome carried by four columns and whose four short arms have low segmental vaults.
The eastern arm forms a chancel, with a venetian window, and the other arms hold sections of a three-sided gallery. The south front forms the main façade, whose pedimented Tuscan portico is grander than the semicircular entrance porch to the west. A small clock tower and cupola surmount the dome. The church was begun in 1788 and consecrated in 1791, when it was widely admired. It is notable as Plaw's only surviving building, apart from a house on Belle Isle (Westmld.).
Mass at St Mary's is extremely popular with young families, as well as single people and older members of the Parish. A close and supportive congregation is both welcoming and friendly.
The liturgy on Sundays is a traditional High Mass with three sacred ministers and fine music provided by a voluntary choir. The reassuring formality of the liturgy provides a sound platform for an exploratory and challenging style of homily.
There is a Sunday School which welcomes children from nursery age. Baptised Christians of all denominations are invited to receive Holy Communion during the Mass. After the Mass there is an opportunity to meet other members of the congregation over refreshments in the Assembly Rooms across the churchyard. There are also Masses at 10am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.